Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Curried Egg Salad


I have to admit, for years I hated egg salad. I remember every Easter after hunting for eggs in the front yard, my family would get so excited to make egg salad, but for me the fun stopped with the hunt. I was a picky eater, and on top of that the smell of sulphur from a couple of badly cooked eggs sealed my hatred of egg salad forever. Or so I thought. After making this curried version a couple years ago, I'm happy to announce I've changed my tune! 




Aaron has always loved egg salad, and I think this version stole his heart. He was away visiting family for the past week, so I thought I'd welcome him home with one of his favorites.




This is such a simple recipe, there's nothing to it. It makes for a delicious lunch; I particularly love it as a sandwich on toasted whole wheat or sourdough bread. Its Indian flare makes this egg salad a great companion to naan. Try it as a wrap filling or a snack with pita chips!




CURRIED EGG SALAD
Adapted from Gourmet, March 1991

Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise 
3/4 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3 to 4 drops Tobasco (or other hot sauce)
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. lemon juice
6 or 7 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped  (see notes below)
1 stalk celery, minced
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 tsp. minced cilantro
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a medium size bowl, combine the mayonnaise, curry powder, salt, Tobasco, cumin, mustard, and lemon juice and stir to combine. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the chopped hard-boiled eggs, celery, scallion, and cilantro. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Taste to adjust seasonings, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. 

Notes:
  • To hard boil the eggs: place the eggs in a medium size saucepan and cover with 1 to 2-inches of cold water. Bring just to a boil, cover, and remove from heat. Let sit for 12 minutes before submerging in a bowl of ice water. Peel and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment