These fun and festive homemade paper rockets make great use of cardboard toilet paper rolls. I've already expressed my love for the 4th of July and New England in my previous post. This year, I made some cinnamon red hots to stuff inside these patriotic rockets. You could fill them will all sorts of goodies, but I thought firery hot candies were a nice choice.
I made these as a host and hostess gift, but there's no reason why they wouldn't make awesome party favors or decorations for your upcoming 4th of July gathering. Adults will love them as much as the kids! Happy Independence Day!
Here's how to make 'em:
- Begin by assembling everything you need:
- Toilet paper rolls
- Blue card stock
- Thin craft paper or wrapping paper
- Glitter pompoms
- Glue stick
- Hot glue gun
- A pencil for tracing
- Cut a piece of craft paper or wrapping paper to fit around the toilet paper roll. Using a glue stick, attach it to the toilet paper roll.
- Use a small bowl (about 5 1/2-inches in diameter) to trace a half-circle on the blue card stock. Cut out the half-circle and bend it in a circle to create a cone. Using a glue stick, glue the edges of the paper together to form the cone.
- Using a hot glue gun, attach the cone to one end of the wrapped toilet paper roll.
- Using the same blue craft paper you used to make the cone, trace one end of the toilet paper roll and cut out the small circle.
- Pierce a hole in the small blue circle with a pencil or pin.
- Cut about 5 inches of string, thread it through the hole and tie a knot on one end.
- Using a hot glue gun, attach the pompom to the other end of the string.
- Fill the rocket with candy and using a couple of dots of hot glue, lightly glue the blue circle to the bottom of the rocket.
- Use the string to pull off the bottom of the rocket when ready to open and enjoy!