Monday, March 12, 2012

Saint Patrick's Day Garland


A couple of years ago I started a tradition of cooking a big Irish feast in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Feeling festive, I decided to make a garland bursting with green and clovers to aid in the celebration of the day. I have always been drawn to old post cards. I love their vibrant colors, old world images, and humorous anecdotes. It's also fun to read the backs of many of these cards, which are commonly written in the impeccable swirling penmanship of days gone by.





I thought it would be fun to feature these vintage postcards as garland. A bit of green ribbon and a glue stick and I had it made! As I didn't have enough postcards to fill an entire length of ribbon, I did a google search and came up with more than enough images to create my garland. With the help of our hearty Irish dinner and festive St. Patrick's Day garland, we'll be transported to the lush green grasses of Ireland, if only for a night. I just hope I'm not too hung over to remember it the next day.




Here's how to make it:
  • Collect enough postcards (or do a google image search and print them out) to run the desired length of your garland.
  • If you printed the images out from your computer, cut poster board out into rectangular squares to fit the sizes of your postcards. Glue the postcards to the poster board rectangles using a glue stick.
  • Punch small holes in the upper left and right corners of the postcards using a small hole-punch or pin. 
  • Cut a length of green ribbon to attach your postcards to.
  • Cut small lengths of slightly thinner green ribbon and run them through the small holes. Attach the thin ribbons to the long one, tying them into small bows.

2 comments:

  1. I still cherish the photo book you made me with a vintage postcard on the cover. You are so talented... Happy St. Patty's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten all about that! That's so sweet that you still have it. Happy St. Patrick's Day my dear!

    ReplyDelete